Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

New New Beetle

I've seen a total of three brand new 2012 Beetles out on the road recently.  The problem is that I didn't recognize them until I was almost past them.  I'm not sure if this is because I'm just not used to seeing the new body style yet or if they are truly blending in with the other cars out on the road.  To be fair, the three I've seen have been Grey, Black or White.

When sitting next to the Classic Beetle or even the New Beetle from a year ago, I can see the resemblance.  Though this 2012 Beetle looks more like the Classic Beetle than its previous incarnation, I don't think it stands out like the older Beetles do.  I was excited about this new version when I saw it in the showroom and I dared any salesman to try and talk me into a trade-in.  But now that I've almost missed them on the road three times, I wonder if I'm not better off where I am.

My favorite postcard from the last promotional campaign for the 1996 New Beetle was one that featured a fill in the blank.  On the front of the postcard was a picture of a Giant Space Shuttle and a line of cars the size of ants next to it.  At the top left-hand of the photo was written "Oh look, there's a ________." When you flipped the card over the answer was given as ". . .a yellow one."  Sure enough, down at the base of the Space Shuttle was a yellow New Beetle in the line of cars.

The problem is that these 2012 Beetles aren't jumping out from the crowd for me.  They are getting lost in the shuffle of traffic and what I've always liked about the Beetle is that it's unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment