Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2011

7 Years Ago . . .

DSC_0062
Guppy Gulch SCUBA Diving Quarry from Flickr.com member hergen family

Seven years ago today, I was on my way up to Guppy Gulch for my SCUBA diving class checkout.  My dad didn't want me to go and I was determined to overcome fear.  It was a beautiful place and the water was ice cold.  I'll just say it didn't end well and leave it at that.  I swore I would return within 5 years and successfully complete the checkout, thereby earning my SCUBA certification, but the very thought of putting on a wet suit still initiates a fight or flight response from me.

The sad part was that I really enjoyed the classes while I was taking them and I found SCUBA diving to be very relaxing.  There was something, at the time, very comforting about the silence being underwater offered.  Now, I go to sleep with the TV on to fill that kind of sound void.

This is what I thought of this morning.  There are things that never quite leave you no matter how much time passes.

2 comments:

  1. There is something definitely claustrophobic about the silence under water though.

    ReplyDelete