Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Alternate Futures

I received an e-mail from one of my dad's old church friends last week.  Apparently my father had seen his post about wanting to hire an accounting position at Johns Hopkins so Dad gave him my information.  I don't know a lot of the details about the job as yet, but it would be doing actual accounting for a business and I think it's worth the effort to at least apply.  This would actually be something in my field of study and would be mutually beneficial in pursuing my degree.

I keep asking the universe for direction, so when something is presented to me I have to at least see where it goes.  Maybe this is the opportunity for me and a chance I need to take.  If it doesn't work out at least I have updated my resume and practiced for an interview.  It's easy to get complacent in your job and not strive for anything better so long as you're getting a steady paycheck and you don't hate the people you work with.  As disloyal as I feel sending off my resume to another job, I know that I have to keep my options open for my own well-being.

It is easy to forget that, while your company (or more specifically, your manager) may have a certain loyalty to you, if they needed to cut the workforce to re-align their company spending goals it wouldn't be personal, it would be business.    We've had three rounds of lay-offs since I started work here and each time my manager has been able to make a good case for everyone on our team.  At some point, she may not be able to.  It also means that there isn't a lot of room for my personal growth within the company and that's something I need to consider as well.

Five, or ten, years down the road, what kind of position do I envision myself having at this company?  I will have a Masters degree in Accounting and, as of right now, I would have to go work in our Harford County or California office.  And it seems that they are pulling all accounting to the Harford County office with the introduction of our new accounting system.  Harford County would be more agreeable to me than a move to California, but it's still not where I want to go every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment