Pages

Monday, June 26, 2017

20th Anniversary of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Twenty years ago today, the world was introduced to one of the most amazing pieces of fiction.  My life since Harry Potter was first published has been one of constant denial.  For starters, I refused to read the books when they were first being published.  I am not the kind of person who likes to be caught up in a mania and, at the time, the idea of adults bewitched by children's literature seemed absurd to me.  Then, when I finally did cave in and submit to the incredible phenomenon that was
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (or the Sorcerer's Stone in the States), I refused to accept that I would be sorted into Hufflepuff.  Didn't I have the heart of a Gryffindor after all?

My first refusal was quickly overturned when my retail establishment started carrying Harry Potter merchandise and I was hopelessly lost in trying to up-sell items to my customers.  I was able to fake it for a while, but I knew I would have to read at least one of the books if I wanted to continue to be successful in my job.  I decided to read only one book and, as fate would have it, a child had left behind their copy of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.  After a few weeks, when no one came back to claim the book, I decided to borrow it. . . for research purposes only.  Once read, I couldn't believe I'd waited three years to discover this magical world and quickly devoured all the other available titles.  Like so many others, I anxiously awaited the release of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and then I shushed those who would spoil the secrets it held.  For a self-proclaimed literary nerd, it was an exciting time.

My second refusal has been much longer in resolving itself.  For 17 years, I've taken every possible fan-made test available in a attempt to be sorted into a different house.  Then in 2012, I received the definitive sorting on Pottermore and grudgingly realized that I was and would always be a Hufflepuff but I never accepted it in my heart of hearts.  To me, the Hufflepuff seemed the weakest of the houses without any majorly defining characteristics.  You have to admit that the sorting hat song - Said Hufflepuff, "I'll teach the lot and treat them just the same." - sounds an awful lot like being picked last in gym class.  

But as I have grown into adulthood, I've come to realize that Hufflepuff is actually one of the strongest houses.  It's incredibly easy to pick friends or sides when the world is seen in definite terms -  Ravenclaw wants the smartest people, Slytherin the most ambitious, and Gryffindor the bravest.   The real difficulty is in seeing that the world cannot be clearly defined and that there are multiple points of view for almost every issue.  Navigating these waters where dedication, loyalty, and fair play are valued above all else is incredibly treacherous.   It's also extremely tiresome and draining on an individual.  For not only is the world a muddled mess but one can see that everyone's opinion has value.  Whether you agree with that value or not is a different story. 




No comments:

Post a Comment