Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Randomness

This morning, while searching through Etsy for possible co-worker Christmas gift ideas, I came across a Halloween costume (A Roman Toga) that brought up a neglected memory for me.

Picture this:  Little Town, Havre de Grace, 1993, seventh grade social studies class with Mr. Ewart.  We were studying the Ancient Greek and Roman Civilizations and were present projects to the class.  Some people made traditional Greek or Italian foods for mass consumption, some made dioramas, others present special reports on aspects of these ancient lives.  I decided to focus on the clothing, for some reason.  I wasn't exactly fashion conscious in those days, and not much better now, so I'm not sure why I picked this one.  Except that possibly it had the chance I would get to dress in a costume.

I remember that Mom was very helpful in putting together my presentation.  We went to the library together and she helped me to do some of my first major research as a student.  We found this amazing book that gave detailed descriptions of how the articles of clothing were shaped and then worn.  Because the measurements for these garments would have required a lot of fabric and extra help in displaying them to the class, it was decided that it would be easier for me to show the proper way to wear a Palla (or a Pallium for the men) if I made Barbie sized costumes.

Mom did a great job putting together a Tunic for my Derek Rocker Barbie doll and a Stola for my Dana Rocker Barbie Doll.  We wrapped a gold colored ribbon around the torso of the Dana Doll and mom used gold colored cross-stitch floss as the closures on the Stola.  Our research told us that the color, purple, was an indicator of royalty or at least the very wealthy so we chose that for the Palla and Pallium.  They were made out of felt and wrapped very easily around the dolls.  Then mom cut out little shoes, using a tan color felt, and sewed them to the feet of the dolls using the gold-colored floss so they looked like sandals.

I kept those dolls in those costumes for a very long time and tried to incorporate them into the story lines my sister and I would create.  I kind of wish I had them today or at the very least a picture of them.  I remember them being so detailed and cool.  I wish I had these memories of my mother more readily available.

No comments:

Post a Comment