Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

30 days to live....

The theme of the Easter sermon I heard on Sunday was "30 days to live" and the pastor asked everyone what they would do if they found out they only had that long left in their lives.  He was trying to make a point about how we live our lives on a daily basis and what we should be focused on instead.  Basically, stop worrying about keeping up with the Joneses and start thinking about the legacy you're leaving here on Earth.  Pastor Skip, I'll call him, gave a list of things that he would do if he only had 30 days to live and, though they were admirable, they were not the first things that popped into my mind.

If I were told, with absolute certainty, that I was going to die in 30 days and there wasn't anything I could do about it, I would probably spend the first day completely shell shocked.  The next day I'd probably cry, the third I'd fall apart completely, and by the fourth I would make a list of all the things I wanted to do before my final day.
  1. I'd fly my mother up to Maryland.
  2. I'd fly my sister up to Maryland.
  3. Take the trip to Japan with my sister.
  4. See Paris one more time and actually go to the Louvre.
  5. Give my 15 year old cousin a driving lesson.
  6. Buy the most expensive bottle of Scotch I can find and drink it with my family and friends.
  7. Get in a bar fight, knock someone over the head with a bottle, and throw a stool through a window.
  8. Go home with a stranger.
  9. Get a tattoo.
  10. Ride a horse.
  11. Swim in the Pacific Ocean.
  12. Have a photo session with my photographer friend
  13. Challenge my dad to see who can eat the most Goll's Bakery Donuts and Apple Turnovers before getting sick.
  14. Break all of my dishes.
  15. Throw a huge party and invite everyone.  And the biggest gift had better have a card attached that says, "Thank you, for being a friend." 
So most of these things are not what Pastor Skip had in mind and I did clean up the list a little bit for this entry.  I can't even say my list is that outrageous.  There isn't anything like Sky-Diving or Bull Fighting on here.  Mostly, I would do all the things I was afraid of doing because of the long term consequences.  I would go after the life experiences I wanted but hadn't been able to fit in.  I wouldn't go to work, not even to make it easier for everyone else, and I wouldn't do anything I didn't want to just to make someone else happy.

Which is probably Pastor Skip's entire point.  It's important to take a look at one's life and really question why we do the things we do.  What is important?  How do we waste our time and how could we use that time more effectively?    We are not guaranteed tomorrow, at any age, and we shouldn't take the days we have for granted.

1 comment:

  1. First - my favorite part:
    Throw a huge party and invite everyone. And the biggest gift had better have a card attached that says, "Thank you, for being a friend."

    Second - I don't know that I agree with the sentiment Pastor Skip had. It encourages people to act selfishly and when everyone acts selfishly, nobody is satisfied. Some people get genuine happiness from helping people day to day. I am genuinely happy to be doing Financial Analysis - but if I were going to die, I would do something else. If I lived every day like I were dying - who would analyze the finances? They're not going to analyze themselves.

    ReplyDelete