Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Baltimore CASH Campaign

Saturday, I attended training so I can volunteer with Baltimore CASH Campaign at Towson University to prepare taxes for lower income families. I volunteered last year and, even though it was difficult work at times, I found it incredibly rewarding to help people with the new skills I learned in school.  I am feeling more confident about it this year, however, because I've just finished a semester of Tax Accounting and feel that I have a better understanding of the process.  The Basic Level this year will include itemization and a few other things that I didn't deal with last year.  I was able to attend the returning preparers training and found that I had a deeper understanding of the software.

While I was there, I made a contact with Habitat for Humanity of the Chesapeake and I am so excited to volunteer with their organization as well.  As it happens, they don't just build houses.  They also provide a means to furnish those houses and to help maintain them.  The organization also restores some of the abandoned row-homes here in Baltimore.  My new contact was telling me that there are so many programs offered by the city to help lower income individuals from drowning in property taxes and that most citizens aren't even aware they can get that kind of help.  Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity isn't just about getting out there and swinging a hammer, there are so many other ways one can be of help to the community.

I am so excited about these opportunities and I hope that I can find ways to volunteer with these organizations throughout the year and not just at tax time.

No comments:

Post a Comment