Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Barbie's New Body Type(s)

Time Magazine's Barbie Cover
I'm not 100% sure how I feel about this yet. I have always maintained that Barbie is a canvas that reflects both society's values and its shortcomings. So part of this feels like Mattel is admitting fault where there was none. But then I would have loved the different heights, weights, etc. when I was a child. My characters could have been a little more real and varied and that would have been wonderful.

But I have never been one to focus on Barbie's body type and never felt it was an important topic to debate. To me, she was always perfect just as she was because she allowed me to do so many wonderful and imaginative things as a child. I brought my own strengths to her world and she showed me possibilities. I know that not all of my friends had the same experience and I can't help but think that these new dolls would have changed that for them. They might have been able to have the same relationship that I did and to continue to love her as much as I do, even now as an adult.

 I agree with that article that the conversation about her body type clouded the positive messages she was trying to get through. Barbie has never been a cause, she is merely a symptom of the larger issues. And maybe changing her body type(s) will facilitate a move away from this hyper awareness. That it will allow us to focus on her possibilities instead of reducing her to just a figure. And maybe this will radiate out into society and we'll see an entire generation of children who focus more on a person's character.

No comments:

Post a Comment