Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

St. Valentine's Day

My friend, Crystalsavestheday, posted this on her Facebook wall earlier this week:
“I’m not anti-love or anti-romance or anti-relationships. I’m against hollow gestures prescribed by people who are out to make money out of the holiday. I’m against constant reminders that couple equals normal and that anyone who isn’t in a relationship (or doesn’t want to be) is weird. I’m against anyone with a vested interest telling us how and when it’s appropriate to be affectionate - say it with roses, a diamond is forever, if you really loved her, you’d take her to Paris. I hate all those cutesy bears holding satin hearts saying ‘I wuv you snugglebum!’ - as if love can only be this childish, price-tagged, pukey thing.”

- Meg Pickard ( Oh and heteronomativity that blows too)

It really struck a chord with me and I had to click the "Like" button immediately.  It really put into words what I feel about Valentine's day in general.  I have written before about how I didn't understand the panic surrounding Valentine's day.  At the time I was dating someone so it might not have seemed sincere, but  I am perfectly single this year and I still don't get it.

The entire holiday stirs up these, "if you're alone, you're a loser" sentiment in most people.  Singles find themselves desperate to secure a Valentine with whom to exchange gifts.  Or if they find themselves newly single it's a painful reminder of what they've lost.

3 comments:

  1. I understand what you're saying. But I also really like presents. I wish there were more gift-giving occasions in the year but they're aren't.

    I also like receiving things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I also like to give and receive presents. But can't we do this "Just Because" year round?

    ReplyDelete