Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

B-School Application: Goal Essay Draft#2 (no Flavor)

898 Words

It may seem that my Bachelor of Arts in English Literature is in direct contrast to my pursuit of a Masters of Science in Accounting, however, there are common elements that unite the two disciplines and make one beneficial to the other.  The skills I developed as an undergrad includes the ability to analyze data, draw conclusions from those details, and communicate my findings to a larger audience; all of which are important building blocks for a career in Business and crucial for one in Accounting.  However, in order to continue to grow as a professional as well as an individual, one must be open to new experiences and widen his or her skill set. The program offered by American University will allow me to further my knowledge of GAAP and its function within Business and, in turn, I will be able to share my first-hand business experiences with a classroom of my peers. 

The study of English Literature involves the development of analytical and communicative skills which are vital to a career in Accounting.  Hours in the library looking for the best evidence to support my thesis  amidst scores of academic writing has taught me patience and perseverance.  Pouring over lines of poetry, evaluating the meter of the lines and the different connotations of a particular word in order to unlock a deeper meaning teaches one that the details are just as important as the bigger picture.  I find myself drawing on these same lessons as I scour spreadsheets and inventory data in my current position as a Materials Assistant.  The time involved in unraveling a problem in our accounting records is akin to following the trail of footnotes in literary essays.  My ability to recognize the importance the small transactions play in the larger financial picture has allowed me to become a valued member of my team. Because of my training in literature, I notice patterns in data that others take for granted and am able to draw conclusions from our records that would have gone unnoticed by the typical accounting clerk.  In addition, my communication of my findings to other departments aids in efficient problem resolution.  However, the skills I have acquired in undergrad, and refined in the accounting field, are only the cornerstone to the educational foundation I need to become successful as a CPA. 

The Masters of Science in Accounting program offered by American University will allow me to learn proper procedures and processes that can not only be implemented in my day to day job, but increase my contribution to society.  With six years in the accounting field, I will be able to provide real world experience from small businesses, large corporations, and government contractors to the classroom discussions.  In addition, my current employer is planning to go public in the near future and I will be able to provide first hand knowledge of that process as we prepare for our IPO.  Most importantly, I will be able to provide a different perspective for my fellow students with only an accounting or mathematical background.  My background in literary analysis and creative writing will provide valued insights into our learning material that would have been overlooked by the more pragmatic students; I will contribute to a well-rounded education for my peers.  As human beings, we do not exist in a vacuum and the things we learn through our experiences are, in turn, passed on to others for the enrichment of their lives.  So it will be with my time at the University. 

With the technical knowledge of Accounting I will gain from studying at at your institution, my current knowledge of government accounting practices, and my appreciation for literature, I would ultimately like to secure a managerial position in the financial offices at the Library of Congress.  Simply visiting the Jefferson Building, in Washington, DC, is enough to inspire me and help me feel connected to a larger community that transcends the boundaries of language, religion, and governments; it is a cultural and political bastion of knowledge.  Washington, D.C., itself,  is the beautiful combination of so many cultures and educational backgrounds and it has always been a dream of mine to work and live there.  Being a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature and having work experience in Accounting, I cannot think of a better environment for these two disciplines to co-exist.  Any work that would be performed at the Library of Congress, from the janitorial staff to the Librarian of Congress appointed by the President, is part of preserving our culture, our history, and our knowledge for future generations.  And those generations will be responsible for guiding our nation as we find our place in the larger world economy.

Human beings have a drive and ambition to make sense out of the chaos that surrounds them; to understand their place in the world as a whole.  My pursuit of an advanced degree in Accounting stems from that same desire to label and organize our world into easily digested pieces of information, but I can also recognize how those pieces fit together to create an intricate mosaic that represents an entire community.  In my appreciation for this harmony, I defy the very labels society would use to classify me.  I am neither solely a creative person nor am I simply a calculating one.  I am the blending of two cultures for a well rounded future.

No comments:

Post a Comment