Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

B-School: Goal Essay Draft#3 - Final

It may seem that my Bachelor of Arts in English Literature is in direct contrast to my pursuit of a Masters of Science in Accounting; however, there are common elements that unite the two disciplines and make one beneficial to the other.  The skills I developed as an undergraduate includes the ability to analyze data, draw conclusions from those details, and communicate my findings to a larger audience, all of which are important building blocks for a career in Business and crucial for one in Accounting.  However, in order to continue to grow as a professional as well as an individual, one must be open to new experiences and widen his or her skill set. The program offered by American University will allow me to further my knowledge of GAAP and its function within Business and, in turn, I will be able to share my first-hand business experiences with a classroom of my peers. 

The study of English Literature involves the development of analytical and communicative skills which are vital to a career in Accounting.  Hours in the library looking for the best evidence to support my thesis amidst scores of academic writing has taught me patience and perseverance.  Poring over lines of poetry, evaluating the meter of the lines and the different connotations of a particular word in order to unlock a deeper meaning teaches one that the details are just as important as the bigger picture.  I find myself drawing on these same lessons as I scour spreadsheets and inventory data in my current position as a Materials Assistant.  The time involved in unraveling a problem in our accounting records is akin to following the trail of footnotes in literary essays.  Because of my training in literature, I notice patterns in data that others take for granted and I am able to draw conclusions from our records that would have gone unnoticed by the typical accounting clerk.  In addition, my communication of my findings to other departments aids in efficient problem resolution.  However, the skills I have acquired as an undergraduate, and refined in the accounting field, are only the cornerstone to the educational foundation I need to become successful as a CPA. 

The Masters of Science in Accounting program offered by American University will allow me to learn proper procedures and processes that can not only be implemented in my day to day job, but also increase my contribution to society.  As human beings, we do not exist in a vacuum and the things we learn through our experiences are, in turn, passed on to others for the enrichment of their lives – so it will be with my time at your University.  With six years in the accounting field, I will be able to provide real world experience from small businesses like Dale Thompson Builders, to large corporations like Hallmark, to government contractors like Safenet.  In addition, my current employer is planning to go public in the near future and I will be able to provide firsthand knowledge of that process to classroom discussions.  My background and skill set will provide valued insights into our learning material that would have been overlooked by the more pragmatic students; I will contribute to a well-rounded education for my peers.

I would ultimately like to secure a managerial position in the financial offices at the Library of Congress with the technical knowledge of Accounting I will gain from studying at your institution, my current knowledge of government accounting practices, and my appreciation for literature.  Simply visiting the Jefferson Building, in Washington, DC, is enough to inspire me and help me feel connected to a larger community that transcends the boundaries of language, religion, and government; it is a cultural and political bastion of knowledge.  Washington, D.C.  is the beautiful combination of so many cultures and educational backgrounds and it has always been a dream of mine to work and live there.  Working at the Library of Congress, I would be a part of preserving our culture, our history, and our knowledge for future generations; those generations will be responsible for guiding our nation as we find our place in the larger world economy.

My pursuit of an advanced degree in Accounting stems from the desire to label and organize our world into easily digested pieces of information, but I can also recognize how those pieces fit together to create an intricate mosaic that represents an entire community.  In my appreciation of this harmony, I defy the very labels society would use to classify me.  I am neither solely a creative person nor am I simply a mathematical one.  I am the blending of two cultures for a well rounded future.

No comments:

Post a Comment