Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

B-School Essay : Short-Term/Long-Term Goals

American University requires a 500 word essay on my short-term and long-term goals and how that applies to my education at their university.  Between this and the optional personal statement, it's my opportunity to show them something special about me.  I've always been a writer, sometimes brilliant but most of the time adequate.  I know that this is one of my strengths as a candidate and I need to focus on the best way to display that.

But I feel like I've never had training in this and I'm so rusty my fingers practically creaked when I started working on the rough drafts.  The personal statement went pretty easily, maybe a little dramatic, but that's acceptable.  It's the short-term/long-term goal essay that I think I've completely lost sight of the path.  I could easily say "here's my short-term goal,"  "here's my long-term goal," now please let me give you my monies in exchange for goods and/or services.  But I think the people reading the essays will be so bored with that format.  I wanted to make it entertaining to read so that I would stick out in their minds, but I am afraid it may have gone the other way.  I would definitely stick out in their minds, but not necessarily in a good way.

So I've sent off the rough drafts to people I trust for evaluation.  I have a little over a month to send in the application for a merit scholarship consideration.  I don't know that I would merit one, given my GPA and GMAT score, but I don't want to miss the opportunity for the possibility.

I'm excited about this.  I'm also stressed about it, but it's got me thinking in terms I don't use every day.  It is something different to stimulate my brain and, so far, it's pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment