Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

B-School Prep: Quizno's Article on NPR

On the ride into work today I heard the following: Quizno's NPR Article.

It really made me think about the degree I am attempting to pursue as it involved the flow of business.  An interesting perspective on franchises and corporate offices, too.  I haven't really thought about how Hallmark and my store interact on the financial side of things.  My focus is limited to the monthly inspections we get from the corporate office to make sure we're maintaining the Hallmark Core Values.

There are some materials/merchandise we must purchase directly from Hallmark.  The cards are the obvious example and honoring the gold crown coupons is similar to Quizno's buy one get one free deal.  (Because the coupons are only allowed to be used on Hallmark merchandise and we have to buy that directly from the corporation.)  Though we are reimbursed for the cost of the items sold so it's not like we're out that money like the Quizno's franchises.  We just don't make a profit from the sale of those items, so it's a loss of potential income I suppose.

I kind of feel like an apprentice watch maker on his first day.  There are these inner workings that I have taken for granted my entire life and learning some of the basics has widened my perspective of the world.  All this from just one Accounting I class, imagine what I could do with an entire Masters Degree!

No comments:

Post a Comment