Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

B-School Application: Goal Essay Rough Draft

One of the most influential novels I've ever read was A Passage to India, by E.M. Forster.  It presents two divergent cultures, one that appreciates the artistry in everything and one that cannot see the forest for the trees, and the main question in Forster's novel is whether or not they can co-exist peacefully in India.  I find that I identify more and more with this central theme as my Bachelor of Arts in English Literature, from University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC), is seemingly in direct contrast to my pursuit of a Masters of Science in Accounting.  However, like the characters in Forster's novel, there is a common element that unites the two disciplines. 

Just as Dr. Aziz and Professor Fielding have a mutual respect for one another that transcends the bonds of their individual cultures, the study of English Literature involves the development of one's analytical skills which are crucial to a career in Accounting.  In my current position as a Materials Assistant at Safenet, Inc., my ability to recognize the importance the small details play in the larger financial reporting picture has allowed me to become a valued member of my team. Unencumbered by the rote technique used by my associates, I am able to draw conclusions from our accounting data that would otherwise have gone unnoticed and communicate them effectively to other departments.  However, the skills I have acquired in the accounting field are only the cornerstone to the educational foundation I need to be successful within my company. 

The Masters of Science in Accounting program offered by American University will allow me to learn proper procedures and processes that can be implemented in my day to day job.  Thereby allowing me to become an important asset to my company.  With six years in the accounting field, I will be able to provide real world experience from small business, large corporation, and goverment contractor perspectives.  My current employee, Safenet, Inc. is also planning to go public in the near future, so I will be able to provide first hand knowledge of that process as we prepare ourselves for our IPO.

I could easily see my future at Safenet, Inc. as my current supervisor just received her twenty years of service award and she is the person I most want to emulate in my professional life.  Ultimately, however, I would like to use my current knowledge of government accounting practices and the technical knowledge of Accounting I will gain from studying at American University to secure a managerial position in the financial offices at the Library of Congress.  Being a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature and having work experience in Accounting, I cannot think of a better environment for these two disciplines to co-exist.  Washington, D.C. is the beautiful combination of so many cultures and educational backgrounds and it has always been a dream of mine to work and live there.

As discussed in E.M. Forster's novel, A Passage to India, human beings have a drive and ambition to tame the wilderness around them; to make sense out of chaos and have some measure of control.  My pursuit of an advanced degree in Accounting stems from that desire to label and organize our world into easily digested pieces of information, but I can also recognize how those pieces fit together to create an intricate mosaic that represents an entire company.

No comments:

Post a Comment