Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Ramen

When most Americans think of Ramen this is what they typically think of:

A small brick of dried noodles that one can cook in the microwave or on the stove.  There is usually a small flavor packet included with the noodles to give the broth some substance.  But it's a high sodium, cheap meal for college students and struggling artists. (Please see the scene in Josie and the Pussycats when Mel talks about how far a pack of ramen can go.)



But recently, I've seen Brittany Murphy's film, The Ramen Girl, and learned that Ramen is an important part of the Japanese culture.  And the Ramen featured in the film looks nothing like the styrofoam noodles pictured above.  One of the movie's focuses is on the art of making the perfect bowl of Ramen and how it can make some one's day better or worse depending on the mood of the chef when the food is cooked.  We've seen similar films where one's emotions go into the food that others consume, and usually to hilarious conclusions, but this one is different.  The other is finding what makes one happy.  (Brittany Murphy is a girl who hasn't been able to define herself except in relation to other people.  She is someone's daughter, girlfriend, lover, etc.)

Today, I had my very first experience with real Ramen.  I mentioned it at the latest meetup of the Order and was treated to it the following day.  I honestly wish I had been able to eat more it was so delicious.  (Side note:  trying to eat noodles with chopsticks while hungover is not an easy task.  Never mind how I know this.)  This, my friends, is what Ramen is supposed to look like.  The noodles are still in there, I promise, but they were fresh noodles and the difference was definitely noted.

No comments:

Post a Comment