Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Elisabeth Sladen 1948-2011


from http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_110419_01/Elisabeth_Sladen
  I was very sad to see this article on my Google Reader today: Doctor Who/Sarah Jane Smith Adventures Star dies at 63.  I realize that I didn't watch the show when she was on Doctor Who as a regular, but it still feels like something will be missing from the Whoniverse.  I was first introduced to the character of Sarah Jane Smith in the episode, "School Reunion," which reunited the Doctor and Sarah Jane after 23 years apart.  She was so energetic and fun in that episode that I decided to tune in for the spin-off, the Sarah Jane Smith Adventures, even though it's specifically a kids' show.  The BBC has an excellent article up about her.

But I have to think that even though Elisabeth Sladen will no longer be able to film new episodes a part of her will live on.  They will use her likeness in video games, comic books, and action figures.  It's kind of like when the Doctor saved River Song in the conclusion episode, "Forest of the Dead."  She's been saved in the neural relay and will live on in the fandom forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment