Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Benefits of Exercise

So far, I haven't seen a lot of physical benefits from exercise. (Save the slight muscle tone the other day.)  I noticed I was another pound heavier on the scale this morning, but that might have been the three hot dogs I had for dinner - no bun, I swear.  I am getting concerned about meeting my 40 pound total weight loss goal before my trip in exactly ONE WEEK.  But apparently this happens with exercise, there's a slight weight gain at first as you build muscle and then it starts to even out.  Or so I have been told.

The real benefits of exercise have been showcased in different arenas of my life.  I'm tired when I lay my head down to sleep at night, thus ensuring that my mind doesn't wander into unhappy territory and keep me awake.  I know that for at least one hour out of my day I don't have to focus on anything by my heart rate and my breathing.  In fact, aside from the songs on my ipod during my workout time, I don't really think about anything else.  This is kind of a new concept for me.  I usually have too much time to think and over think just about everything. 

But for the time on the elliptical, and most of the drive home, my brain is blissfully silent.  I don't even calculate the points I've earned or the calories I've burned.  For that short period of time, I just am.  I exist in a specific time and space, not looking ahead or thinking backwards, just there in that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment