Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Kristin Chenoweth & Pushing Daisies

Cast of Pushing Daisies
from The Torch Online Article
I had never heard of Kristin Chenoweth until I purchased a copy of the Wicked Broadway Soundtrack, (I highly recommend it btdubs).  She quickly became a favorite of mine and I snapped up her album, Let Yourself Go, as soon as I saw it.  Her vocal range is amazing to say the least and a lot of the songs have a playfulness I haven't seen in a long time.  For great examples check out "If (You hadn't but you did)" or "The Girl in 14G".  She is just adorable and I want to be her best friend.

Then, I discovered the series, Pushing Daisies,  (The best description, besides wikipedia, I can find is this review.)  and here is Kristin starring as Olive Snook.  It's a wonderful series that has offered me the sort of escapism I need right now.  There is something so very sweet about the show that it just makes me feel better.  Even with my identifying with Olive's unrequited love for the main character, Ned, it doesn't make me sad.  Instead it gives me a sense of hope and joy for however long I'm watching it. 

Unfortunately, it is a very short series as it was interrupted by the writer's strike, in 2007 I believe, and was never able to recover before being cancelled shortly into its second season.  I think there are only 22 episodes total.  But the sets and costumes are just fantastic.  I would have described it as being like a "fairy tale" even without reading the different reviews or creator's interviews.  It's fun and original and I am very sorry that we weren't able to go on more adventures with Chuck, Ned, Olive, and Emerson.  Though I hear tell that there will be a comic released in 2011, a la Buffy, as a season 3.

2 comments:

  1. I did not realize it was cancelled. You hear so much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I just finished watching "Pushing Daisies" and I loved it. It's so quirky and funny, and it's sad there aren't more seasons...

    ReplyDelete