Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Difference of A Decade

I came across this posting, "The Difference A Decade Can Make" on my Google Reader yesterday and it got me thinking.  I have been down on technology recently and didn't really have a perspective for how far we've come in the last decade.  I kept thinking about the power of flight being harnessed in 1908 and then landing on the moon about 60 years later.  I wondered why we hadn't colonized the moon at this point or seen that type of advancement in a similar amount of time.

from http://dangreenblatt.com/blog/2008/08/04/our-parents-wrote-letters/
But this post really gave me a very different perspective on the technological advances we take for granted every day.  It's very easy to see the difference between flying and landing on the moon.  But how much thought have I really given to the cell phone I didn't have ten years ago to the one I have now.  The first cell phone I had, the Nokia 5110, was a small brick with very basic functions.  The screen wasn't color, but the faceplate was interchangeable.  Compare this with my new iPhone 3GS, or even the HTC Fuze I had previously, and you'll see that there is a huge difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment