Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Editors

My work blog asked for entries on Travel from the employees, so I submitted one about my trip to London several  years ago.  Today, I get an edited version of the entry and was asked to okay it for posting tomorrow.  Thankfully, I read it before I said anything.  I know that the girl who does this at work works on the blog in her free-time and it's not necessarily one of her job duties.  And for this, I am very thankful.

She cut out the entire point of one of the paragraphs.  I was talking about my trip to St. Paul's Cathedral and how my father and I didn't realize our voices would carry in the Whispering Gallery.  We were being critical of the guard's attire and duties and the guy obviously heard us because we heard a disembodied voice say, "there are no secrets in the whispering gallery."  We looked up and the guard was staring straight at us.  Why we didn't realize our voices would carry in the Whispering Gallery of all places, I do not know.  But the girl cut out the part about my dad and I talking smack.  So it really read, "I went to see the whispering gallery and the guard said,blah, on our way out." 

Then she edited a part about the Globe Theatre with a small sentence about the Millennium Bridge so that it looks like my father and I had a discussion about British Television and Shakespeare on the actual bridge.  What I wrote was that the women who gave the tour at the Globe looked like a character on "Keeping up Appearances," and she couldn't believe we like Titus Andronicus.  Very different, indeed.

I edited it myself, taking out the story about the Globe Theatre, and got it down to one print page for the blog.  So hopefully there aren't any further edits to my stuff.  I'm not saying I am a great writer, I would say I am pretty mediocre at best, but there are things I would never, never do.  Like this sentence, which was edited into my blog: "the daunting task of climbing the daunting trip to the top."  That's when I knew I had to completely rewrite this entry for work.  I write many of these entries hastily and don't go back and edit properly, but for work I wanted to make sure it was the best I had to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment