Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Earthquake in Japan

If you haven't been living in a cave for the last 24 hours, you are undoubtedly aware of the earthquake that took place off the shore of Japan earlier today.  This is the link to the Google Crisis Response Page.  And there are some really interesting and moving images on the Huffington Post Website that show before and after shots of the area.  A couple of the girls at work today couldn't help but cry when they saw videos of the Tsunami.  I don't know anyone there, so I wasn't as emotional about the events but I couldn't help but watch the footage with a bit of morbid awe.

The shear force of nature in this case is amazing.  The destruction and death is truly horrible, but I can't get over the size of the waves or how easily it wiped out entire fields and crops.  I feel badly for the people in that situation and I can't imagine how frightening it must have been in real life.  The after effects will be large and numerous.  I don't know how people will eat or where they will live and I am sending every one of my positive thoughts and prayers in their direction.  I'll make sure to schedule my regular blood donation with the Red Cross and I'll try and give a little extra out of this coming paycheck to the relief efforts. 

But you have to wonder in the game of Man vs. Nature who is ultimately going to win?

No comments:

Post a Comment