Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2011

59 Years Ago Today

Today is my mother's birthday.  It was 59 years ago that her mother and father smiled down at their newborn.  I called her a little bit ago and she dropped major hints about gifts that she wants. (The rest of the Agatha Christie series on BBC) However, I was able to inform her that Danielle and I had already gone ahead and purchased the plane ticket as her gift.  She was excited, though a little disappointed at the loss of Agatha Christie, and we talked about what she'll do when she's up here next month.

I haven't seen my mother in over a year and I feel that that is far too long.  I hate that she is in Florida, though I admit it is the best thing for everyone concerned.  She gets to spend time with her mother and sister as well as become more involved in church and community.  She'd become very isolated up here and I think was very lonely most of the time.  I hope that being in Florida has helped with that.  She said she's always busy taking grandma to this or that appointment, helping with the church, volunteering at the retirement home, etc.  So I at least feel that she is living a healthier life than she was here.

Though I have other concerns about her.  The house they live in is in serious disrepair and I don't think it will get better.  Once my grandmother passes, I don't see my mother living there by herself.  It would be the best financial thing for her to not have to pay rent, but it's a terrible place to live.  Of course, in Florida, the rent is not as bad as it is here so she might be able to work something out.  Also, with the longevity my grandmother seems to possess my mother could be well into her later 60's before that happens.  Then she would qualify for all kinds of senior discounts and credits, not to mention she could live in the church retirement community.  For now, I am not so concerned about my mother specifically.  She takes care of her own mother and therefore has a sense of purpose.  My maternal aunt also lives in Florida and she sees her quite often so there is an outside perspective of things.

One of the guys at work just had to put his mother into a nursing home.  She's in her 70's, but up until about 6 months ago was able to live perfectly well on her own.  It wasn't until her neighbors started calling that he even knew something was wrong.  (He lives here and she lives in Texas)  Apparently she had suffered several mini-strokes and it's almost like Alzheimer's.  She has good days and bad, but mostly she forgets to eat and pay her bills.  He said it was one of the hardest decisions he's ever had to make and all I could think about was my own mother.  It will get to that one day and I don't know if I will be prepared for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment