Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Cookbooks

11:19 p.m.

I used up all but the restaurant gift cards I received for Christmas this year.  I bought an awesome corduroy jacket in my new size 12.  It's a little snug with my pullover so I think I'll be able to use it even after I lose the rest of my weight.  I've been hesitant to buy any clothes beyond necessity since I am still losing weight and don't want to waste money on a temporary wardrobe.  But I figured I was close enough to my goal weight that a jacket would be able to bridge that gap.  Plus, I am tired of wearing items that are too big and don't show off all of my hard work.  This jacket really displays the slimmer me and I like it.

I also picked up a copy of the Betty Crocker Cookbook.  I have never spent a lot of time in the kitchen and one of my goals is to pare down my spending as well as my waistline.  This cookbook gives detailed explanations of cooking terms and as well as pictures of foods and kitchen utensils.  So there is an entire section with pictures of different cheeses, shellfish, beans, etc.  There is even a diagram of the different cuts of beef and the part of the cow they come from.  In addition to all these informative sections, each recipe gives the nutritional information for that dish.  That should make calculating Weight Watchers Points a lot easier.  I already own the Weight Watcher's cookbook from years ago, but there were terms in there that I simply didn't know.  Sure I could look that information up on the internet, but when one is in the middle of cooking with hands caked in whatever gooey substance is being used it's not always convenient.

I've come to realize that being an adult isn't an easy thing to do.  My life has been full of difficult decisions and bad situations.  I know how to deal with a crisis situation, but the simple day-to-day things aren't as easy.  Like cooking.  It seems so natural for my dad and my aunt.  How did they get there?  What have I missed along the way that it's not as easy for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment