Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Vending Machine Blues

At my day job we have had free snacks and drinks for the employees.  When we combined offices with a newly acquired company this became a problem.  One department didn't want to foot the bill for free snacks and drinks for the entire office and it was decided that our side would buy drinks while the other side would buy the snacks.  Then there were problems because our side made sure there were adequate sodas for everyone while the other side still purchased as if they were a single office.  Some employees would drink more than one soda a day while others would only drink one every month.  The big problem was that there was never enough of anything left over for visitors or training classes.  So the solution was to install a vending machine in the break room. 

This is no ordinary vending machine, however, as everything in it only costs a quarter.  It will be refilled every Tuesday and Thursday and the $.25 pays for the additional stock.  Now people are upset because they have to pay money for their snacks and drinks.  For those that consume multiple items in a day, I can see where this would be a problem.  But for others, it's a more than reasonable cost for the occasional treat.

My problem is that, for some reason, I want to buy something from the vending machine.  I was perfectly fine leaving the free items alone and didn't care one way or the other about them.  But now, I know I have a purse full of quarters and I want to go get something.  I want to see the gears turn and the item of my choice drop down.  I don't know how this will work with Sodas, but I haven't heard any complaints about that yet.  Clearly it's the novelty factor and I don't really want something on which to nom.  I don't need it.  I've gained two pounds this week as it is.  But the Twizzlers are calling me.

No comments:

Post a Comment