Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

One Month To A New Decade

Today is officially one month until my 30th Birthday!  I've purchased the plane ticket for my mother to come visit and I am starting to get plans together for my actual celebration.  I am pretty sure it will have to be two separate things as there are too many people I want to see and they all won't fit in my house.  Also, I think it may be easier to have a friends event separate from a family event.  My boyfriend has also stated that he's not comfortable meeting family just yet, which I understand, but it would make one giant get together a little awkward.  My biggest fear right now is that my expectations are too high and that I will only be disappointed come the actual birthday. 

First of all, I didn't want to have to plan this birthday.  I really wanted someone to do it for me and then some things could be a surprise or at least I wouldn't be as stressed about it.  But with my sister not able to go to Ireland with me, the dads have stepped up and will hopefully go.  This, of course, means that a big party with a DJ is out of the question as they will be paying for airfare.  Even if the dads don't go to Ireland, they have offered to pay for my airfare and I would much rather have that than a big fancy party.  Though there is something to be said about big fancy parties to mark important life events.  Maybe it's the response cards or working in a Hallmark store with fancy invitations.

I've already requested off from my second job for the entire weekend.  I know my birthday is one day after the birthday of my store manager's deceased daughter and this usually creates a little tension.  I always do a sort of countdown to my birthday, though I try not to at Hallmark because I know it's a painful reminder for my manager.  But I refuse to make myself available on the 26th this year, as I normally would, because it's a big birthday for me and I am celebrating the entire weekend.  I feel like this is a little selfish, but I have to remember that it is not unreasonable for me to make this request and, therefore, it's okay.

Friday, I picture mom, the dads, Sister and her girlfriend all going to Dad's local bar for Karaoke.  I kind of want Mom and Step-Daddy M to sing a duet.  (Not Summer Loving as my sister has suggested.  I really hate when people sing that at Karaoke.)    Maybe a rendition of "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart" or possibly something no one has heard of at all, but mom and step-daddy M think is the cat's pajamas. 

Saturday night, going out with friends. Maybe starting with Roller Skating or Bowling, very old-school, then a little bar-hopping and a new year's like countdown to midnight and the beginning of my 30th year.  I picture this like the end of a movie with people crowded around the camera and big smiles as we toast.  Again, my expectations could be too high.

Sunday, family part at my house/dad's house.  I want mom to make that angel food cake with pudding & cool whip icing like she used to when we were little.  Maybe Aunt S. could make the chicken-pox pie that Mommom used to make.  It's been years since I've had that and it's probably not as good as I remember, but I want it.  It's like I want this weird fusion of old and new, celebration of my life kind of thing.  Like all the good parts rolled up into one weekend.

Again, the expectations are high.  But maybe it will end up being a fun and wacky adventure à la the Chevy Chase Vacation Movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment