Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

January 31st

Wow...one month of solid blogging.  Not all of it has been interesting or easy to do.  Hopefully next month will be a little more interesting with the planning and celebrating of my 30th birthday.  But I hope that I can keep this up for the entire year as it will be interesting to look back on at the next milestone.

It is officially 27 days until my birthday and I am getting very excited for it.  Though there are other obstacles before then.  Namely, Valentine's day.  I am in a confusing place on this one.  I have been dating my boyfriend for several months now, almost 8, and this will be the first Valentine's day we've encountered.  He has previously stated that he doesn't really "do" V-day because he feels it's something you shouldn't have just one day for.  Meaning that doing special things and showing someone you care about them shouldn't be relegated to just one day a year and should be something you do all the time for your honey.  And, to be perfectly fair, he does just that.  But I don't want to get nothing for him and then find out that he did get something for me.  Also, I don't want him to feel obligated to get me something if I get something for him.  It's a balancing act of sorts.

At the second job yesterday, my co-workers were talking about it.   To be honest, I don't know that I want anything in particular.  I just cleaned out my storage unit and a lot of my personal "baggage"  I don't have a need for any more "stuff," you know?  I am working very hard on my weight watchers and have successfully lost 32 pounds so I don't really want any candy to tempt me into bad habits while I'm trying to lost the other 15-20.  All the ladies at work were trying to decide what they would buy their significant other from our store.  I don't mean to belittle what we sell, but it's all useless.  Maybe I am not the romantic I once was, but I just don't see how getting a journal for your beau and filling out the first page for him is going to be useful.  Unless of course, you know for a fact that he is an avid journaler and this would be a welcome gift.  Maybe a mix CD with songs that make you think of him would go over well if you had similar tastes in music.  Actually the mix CD isn't a bad idea.  But the giant Teddy Bear we sell for $100 is a terrible waste of resources.  I am definitely more of a buy me a season of my favorite show, or a movie we saw together.  Something that will still be useful years down the road. 

Or buy me something that will convey the sentiment without adding to my clutter.  Like Flowers.  They are simple, elegant, thoughtful and don't last more than a week. Flowers bring cheer to any room on these dark wintry days and promise that spring is just around the corner while showing that you care.  Candy is also an acceptable option, tempting though it may be, but please refrain from a huge box.  Or something with an significant amount of thought.  For example, if he were to show up with a collection of the new Sharpie Fine Point Pens in multiple colors tied like a flower bunch, or something similar, I would know that this person understood me.  Throw in that new Stone Paper Composition Book I saw at Target the other day and it's a done deal.  Of course, I need more pens and paper like I need a hole in my head but you get the point.

But there is all of this frenzy around the holiday that I just don't understand.  Why does it have to be a test for your loved one?  Why do we have cards at Hallmark that are bigger than my any scrapbook could possibly handle?  Is bigger really better or just overcompensating?   People are stressing about getting dinner reservations to resturaunts that are going to be crowded with people trying to have a romantic moment admist rushing wait staff and loud background noise.  It's like setting yourself up for failure.  Of course, no one really wants to be the person without plans on this day of days either.  And by plans, I mean someone to have sex with afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment