Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Bookworms

With the holiday season behind us, and my birthday a mere two months away, it's an excellent time to update wish lists.  I've been thinking lately about getting an e-reader of some sort.  I was against them at first and felt that they would take away from the whole reading experience I enjoy.  I know that the Nook and the Kindle both have features that allow one to share a book with another user for up to 14 days.

My friend has the Nook and loves it.  She takes it to the Barnes & Noble store where she is allowed to peruse titles and special offers through the Nook.  It's kind of neat and definitely fulfills my need to go to a bookstore to get a dose of that book smell.  Then my boyfriend has access to the Kindle through his iphone (that's a completely different entry) and I've used it a couple of times.  So I have learned the value of this gadget even if I don't have an immediate need for it.

I just wish that there was a way to import physical books I already own into a digital library.  Like I can with cd's to my ipod or the new packages for movies that include a Blu-Ray, DVD, and Digital Copy.  Maybe they'll start putting single access codes on the back covers of new hardbacks.  Though there are plenty of free e-books out there one can download and it would be an easy way to catch up on the classics without adding to my bookshelf.  Though, I could also just go to the library.

Please reference my Livejournal Entry dated December 22, 2009:
 I've been hearing a lot lately about e-books. My father considered buying me the kindle for Christmas, my sister informed me, but was able to be talked out of it easily. I'm not against the idea of an electronic book, I just don't know if it's for me.

I'm the kind of girl that owns an ipod, but still buys CD's to upload to it. I like cover art, liner notes and CD designs. I'm always afraid that I won't sufficiently back-up my files and any music purchased directly from itunes will be lost. I don't care that I have to pay $1-3 more per album if it gives me peace of mind and pretty things. Not to mention a wall that makes people go, "whoa."

Since my sister told me of my father's Christmas idea, I've been hearing more and more about e-readers. I walked into Barnes & Noble the other day to find the front part of their store is given over to the Nook. (their version of this new technology.) This morning on the way to work I tuned into NPR where they were having a discussion about the benefits and drawbacks. Then today, Cleolinda, journaled about it on her LJ. (She's trying to find one for her dad that will be user friendly and easy to read.)

I started reading through the comments on her journal and wondered if it's really worth the trouble. They talk about synching issues and loss of information. Incompatibility between books purchased and readers used. Yes, it will be incredibly portable and one could have a book as quickly as you can remember the title. But how can you lend a book to a friend? Libraries, it seems, have a program for just such an advancement.

Recently, I traveled to Atlanta via airplane and there was more than one occasion where we encountered turbulence and were asked to turn off our electrical devices. I had brought along my ipod but wasn't able to use it at all on the return flight, due to weather conditions. Thankfully, I had my book. Delightfully low-tech and easily accessible.

I don't think e-books will replace physical copies, but I think they are the next evolution. There will be a market for e-books just as there will be the die-hards for actual books. I am definitely partial to books. There's a smell that cannot be recreated using an e-reader. Something about walking into a library or book store just puts my soul at ease. But like Barnes & Noble and Borders changed the book buying experience so, too, will the e-readers. The stories are the same and the experience only slightly different. Pride & Prejudice will not suffer and may even be introduced to an entirely new audience.

Right now, e-readers are a gimmick, the next technological must have. But like the ipod, and other portable music devices, I think they will find a place in our culture. Eventually, I will figure out a secure way to store information and will probably take advantage of these new devices.

I don't know if there's a way to make notations on the e-reader. But I think something will be lost in this transition. There's something about handwriting that can't be replaced by the type written. I still keep a personal journal even though I make additions to this one. I'm reminded of the importance of organic things when I come across my grandmother's handwriting on something. She's been gone for over a decade now and it's comforting to have something that personal. Even if it's just a grocery list, it's her handwriting. It brings back memories that Times New Roman never could.

I wonder about modern authors, writing on computers, do they save original drafts? Original manuscripts from authors like Jane Austen are priceless. It's interesting to see the creative process step by step in notes and edits. Do we get that in the technological age?

I'm reminded of Jasper Fforde's series featuring Thursday Next. They talk about how books have been upgraded through the years. Starting with stone carving, then scrolls, and, currently, books. E-books are clearly the next upgrade and will take my beloved novels into the next generation. I suppose the important thing to remember is that the form doesn't matter so much as the message. As long as the works are kept intact for future generations, does it matter how that information is transferred?

No comments:

Post a Comment