Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Nintendo Themed Scarf

My sister loved the blanket that I knitted for her for Christmas.  I keep getting pictures of her much adored dog snuggled up in it.  I was very proud of myself this year because I was able to plan and make all the gifts before Christmas.  I had thought about making something for my boyfriend, but there really wasn't enough time for the item I wanted to make.

We spent a little bit of last night talking about the socks his mom makes.  He told me that she knitted them completely flat and then sewed them together to make the heal and what not.  The pattern is apparently so easy, once you get the hang of it, that you can make a pair of socks in under 2 hours.  He asked him mom for the pattern for me, but she said that she just makes them on auto-pilot and couldn't begin to explain it without showing it.  Since that is not an option, he and I sat down with one of the handmade socks and tried to deconstruct it mentally, since we obviously didn't want to ruin the finished product. 

It was actually an enjoyable activity, I hope for both of us.  Because he's seen his mom make them hundreds of time so he understood the mechanics of it, but I actually knit so I could figure out the number of stitches and places where it was seamed together.  So the plan, now that I have a rough sketch of how to do it, is to make a smaller one for practice and see if it comes out correctly.  Then I'll know what needs to be tweaked and can change as needed. 

I know it sounds kind of lame and maybe a little bit dorky, but I really liked that I was able to show off some level of expertise on something.  Obviously I am still learning and there are a lot of things I simply do not know about knitting, but it was pretty awesome realizing what I did know about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment