Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Relationships and Conspiracies

My Oberon! what visions have I seen!
Methought I was enamoured of an ass.
A Midsummer Night's Dream, 4. 1
Have you ever had a friend date someone you didn't particularly like?  There's nothing obviously wrong with the person; they have a good job, treat your friend with respect, and all-in-all it's the best relationship your friend has ever been in.  Honestly, I am truly happy that my friend is dating someone who makes him/her happy.  (THE happiest I have seen him/her in the time we've been friends.)  But I don't get it, I suppose.  Obviously this is my friend's relationship and I don't have to live with his/her significant other, so it makes no difference if I like this person or not.  We all went out for dinner and all I could think of this morning was this quote from A Midsummer Night's Dream

It's not that I dislike that person altogether, but there are things that just rub me the wrong way.  Like a blatant disregard for contractual obligations.  A non-compete clause is put in a contract for a specific purpose and one signs it of his/her own free will.  Moonlighting can be acceptable under certain circumstances, but don't brag about how you can't let your company know you're doing x, y, or z because it would violate your agreement with said company.

Also, there was a discussion about Government Clearances for contractors.  This person has apparently been well informed that whatever happens in the polygraph test will follow you for the rest of your life.  Even if you don't get the clearance and don't work for a government contractor ever again.  Now, I don't agree with everything the government does.  I don't think anyone in this country could agree 100% with anything coming out of Washington right now or ever.  But I'm not so cynical that I believe the government is only trying to screw the people out of whatever they can.  I don't think there is a big conspiracy with Government Clearances and I certainly wouldn't have anything to hide if there were. 

The whole conversation just left a bad taste in my mouth.  And the look on my friend's face every time he/she looked at this person was one of absolute adoration.  Thus, all I could think of today was this quote.  But this person is not a terrible person, certainly my friend has dated far worse.  I just don't see a lot of double dating in our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment