Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Doctor's Wife (Episode #4)

I was finally able to catch up on the latest episode of Doctor Who and all I can say is, "wow!"

***Please do not read past this point if you want to avoid Spoilers***
To start, a couple of recaps and reviews from the web:

the Two Cents Corp - Doctor's Wife Review
Filmthrasher - Doctor's Wife Review
Mark Watches - Doctor's Wife Review

I will refrain from giving a recap, as you can click on a link above if that is needed, but I have to talk about how much I loved this episode.  Idris, or rather the TARDIS, was amazing!  I don't know what made Neil Gaiman think of that particular twist, but it was brilliant.  Using a character, the TARDIS, with whom we are already so familiar but take for granted was just a breath of fresh air for me.  Honestly, the speech at the end was as emotionally charged for me as the ending of season 2 when the Doctor has to say good bye to Rose.

I'll admit the title was a bit misleading, but I think that was the intention.  Kind of like the Doctor's Daughter in Season 4, she's not really his wife.  But I really wish Idris had made it past this episode.  I would love to see more of her and her interaction with the Doctor.  I should have expected something like this from Gaiman, though.  He is always taking things we take for granted and making them magical or more than they seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment