Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

There's a First Time for Everything

I have worked at Hallmark for nearly 12 years now.  Of that time, I've been a key holder/night manager for about 9 of them.  In all that time, I've never had to write up a single employee for anything.  Granted there were things that happened that resulted in an employee's termination, but they weren't the kind of things one could prove immediately and write up for their record.

Last night, I caught A.P. using her cell phone at the register.  This is a big deal in the Hallmark world as cell phones really aren't allowed in the building let alone the sales floor.  My manager makes an exception for that cell phone rule, letting people keep them in their purse or locker, in case of emergencies.  But, while on duty, the cell phone is never to leave the back room.  It was only a few weeks ago that I caught A.P. with her cell phone at the register and told her to put it in her locker and never bring it out again. 

Under the Hallmark rules, if I find someone with their cell phone on the floor, I am supposed to send them home immediately and call the store manager to come in and cover the rest of the shift.  Then the employee that was sent home has to come in before their next shift and have a talk with the manager.  Now, I think this is extreme and no one really wants to call the manager in on her night off.  So I give the girls a verbal warning.  I explain what the rules are and what I should do when they break them, but that I think those are extreme measures and hope they realize how lucky they are that it was me that caught them and not the manager who would fire them on the spot.  I make them put their phone directly into their locker and warn them that the next time I see it, I will have to write them up and contact the manager.

Normally, this is the end of it.  If the girls do have their cell phones out on the floor after that, they are sure not to let me find out about it.  Or the instances are far enough apart that I don't remember giving them their first warning and they get another.  But last night, after I had given a verbal warning less than two weeks ago, A.P. blatantly checks her cell phone while she's standing right next to me at the register.  I ask her, "is that your cell phone in your pocket?"  Cause she hadn't exactly pulled it out in the open, but I know the checking messages on the cell phone in my pocket posture.  She reaches into the opposite pocket on her apron and pulls out her chap stick and tells me no, she was just playing with the cap on her chap stick.  I look at her, "Seriously?  Go put your phone in your locker."  Since it was after 8:00pm I did not send her home, but I did write her up. 

The part that bothers me is that, I'm pretty laid back in my managerial style there.  I expect that the basic rules are obeyed and everyone will do their job with at least a minimum effort.  But I am not hyper about it, I don't create a stressful environment and I'm understanding about most things.  I don't like getting people in trouble, but I can't ignore that level of disrespect and I have to do my job.  Twice in less than two weeks, and to be foolish enough to do it right in front of me.  I spend a lot of time on projects and things that will keep me away from the register, so if I know that this behavior has occurred then I know that it's affecting the customer service.

2 comments:

  1. Suddenly I feel old writing this, and a bit hypocritical considering I sit at my desk at work with my phone out, but working at a retail store, why would you have it out?

    I say old because I started working at Hallmark after you, but still way before I dreamed of owning my own cell phone, and even when I got it... come one. A person can go 4 hours without checking their phone and then take a break and grab it. Really? I suppose this feels to me the same way it does thinking about going to a class (high school or college) and having my phone out, texting. It's rude!

    Anyway, even working at the Hallmark down here in Atlanta, I never had my phone out. Knowing me, I'd probably drop it on the floor and it would break anyway, but again... it seemed very unnecessary to have it out. I was at work. Granted, not work that I particularly enjoyed, but still. I at least focused on customers and projects and everything else.

    Interesting that this has become a phenomenon. I can't remember others doing it while I was still at Hallmark... is this a really recent thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember when it used to be their friends dropping by for hours at a time and we'd have to remind them they could only visit for 5 minutes? I miss those days. We don't really have groups of giggling girls stopping by to chat anymore, now they text.

    When I first started, I didn't own a cell phone. I don't think a lot of people did, so it wasn't an issue. But in the last 5-8 years it's become a larger and larger problem for the girls. I don't understand why though. You're right, they wouldn't be allowed to have it at school and even a desk job wants you to limit the attention you give to a cell phone. Mine allows me to have it out, but frowns on any kind of constant texting as any job should.

    ReplyDelete