Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Horse You Came In On

Last night, I joined the dads in Fells Point at The Horse You Came In On.  I've passed this place many times and never gave it a second thought.  My friend, J, read a mystery novel about the bar and lent it to me but I haven't gotten around to reading it.  I am sorry I've ignored the place for so long.

It advertises as Baltimore's Original Watering Hole and claims to be America's oldest continually operated saloon.  Also, the only bar in Maryland to exist before, during, and after prohibition. (straight from the Bar's website)  It also claims that this was the last destination of Edgar Allan Poe before he was found wondering the streets of Baltimore prior to his death.  I am not sure if that's true, but it's pretty cool to think about.

The bar itself is centered around the cowboy motif, if you will. Photos of old Hollywood legends and film shots from Tombstone line the walls.  Bar stools are shaped like saddles and Cowboy paraphernalia is tacked up around the bar.  I was delighted that the back of the bar was cool and offered a refreshing change from this early summer heat.  Ghost tours file in and out of the place during the evening and the overall atmosphere is pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment