Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Light at the End of the Hallmark Tunnel

I have said before that I find it incredibly difficult to continue to go to my Hallmark job since I made the decision to leave.  I have a set period of time before this can actually happen as well as a few set goals I must reach.  But that doesn't make it any easier and today was definitely a challenge; an eight hour shift is never easy.  An eight hour shift two days before Valentine's day is even worse.  People are starting to get rude and display their displeasure at our inability to anticipate their last minute needs and provide adequate card selections two days prior to one of our biggest holidays.

One lady was upset because the envelopes on a stationery set were a slightly different shade of color than the stationery sheets.  I had to hold them under three different light sources before I saw what she was talking about.  I suggested going through each box and finding one that hadn't been faded and she looked at me like I'd told her her children were ugly.  She thought it was ridiculous that we would even sell mismatched papers at all and didn't Hallmark offer any stationery that matched.  I didn't know what to tell her.  There are stock envelopes and stock stationery.  They don't always come from the same dye lot, I suppose, and it wasn't such an obvious difference that I felt it was a problem.  Also, if one is really that particular about the state of one's stationery, maybe it's a good idea to pay the extra $30 for the top of the line stuff at Papyrus.

1 comment:

  1. Rude customers are one thing I will totally never miss about retail. That and having to tie off so many damn balloons that your fingers are chapped.

    I'm glad you made it through the day all right though!

    ReplyDelete